The lawyer for accused Yahoo hacker, Karim Baratov says he will be filing for a bail review to the appeal court on behalf of Baratov.
Baratov was denied bail Tuesday when Justice Alan Whitten made the decision, saying the 22-year-old had not met the onus to be granted bail.
Whitten said Baratov is a flight risk and concluded his parents were not up to supervising him if he had been released.
In a written statement to CBC, defence attorney Amedeo DiCarlo says his team have enough to appeal.
“After careful review of the decision and our initial argument: we can comfortably say we do have grounds however we cannot disclose specific details,” said DiCarlo.
The bail decision means Baratov will remain in custody through the extradition process.
Baratov was among four men indicted by the U.S. Department of Justice on charges related to computer hacking, economic espionage and other offences.
According to U.S. officials, the four are alleged to have hacked into Yahoo’s systems and stolen information from more than 500 million user accounts. Two of those are identified as Russian intelligence agents.
Those U.S. documents refer to Baratov as a “hacker-for-hire.”
Baratov’s team says believes too much concern was paid to the U.S. concerns at the bail hearing, when it should have been about Canadian legal standards.
Baratov could be sent to the U.S. to stand trial on charges related to computer hacking.
“The USA concern is paramount in the extradition hearing,” said DiCarlo.
DiCarlo says filing the bail appeal to the court may take up to 2-3 weeks.
Baratov’s lawyers say they plan to fight the extradition, which could take 18 months to three years to unfold if there are appeals to the decision.
The U.S. must file its paperwork by mid-May, and then Baratov is expected back in court near the end of May for an update. The extradition hearing could begin in June, the Crown said.