With extra staff on hand, classes will resume Monday at North Park Elementary School, where a shooting earlier this week killed a teacher and student and left another student wounded.
Work also is underway this week to consider additional security at the school.
The San Bernardino City Unified School District board outlined plans Wednesday evening during a crowded and emotion-filled special meeting, where board members heard from North Park staff, parents of students and community members.
Comments to the board were in favor of returning to the school where Cedric Anderson, 53, killed his estranged wife, Karen Elaine Smith, and 8-year-old Jonathan Martinez in Smith’s special needs classroom at North Park Elementary.
The shooting also wounded 9-year-old Nolan Brandy, who was in serious but improving condition Wednesday, district Superintendent Dale Marsden told the gathering.
Debra Natera told the board her child has attended North Park since kindergarten and now is in fifth grade.
“I’m asking that my son stay at the only school he’s ever known. … We are North Park, and we are family,” Natera said. He wants to stay — it’s safe, she continued.
Joyella Beuler, who teaches third grade at North Park, spoke on behalf of the school staff and said they wanted to return to the campus.
Their suggestion was to use a different classroom than the one where the shooting took place, and put locks on the door.
“We can’t let what happened conquer us. We have to conquer it. And we will,” Beuler told the board.
“We believe that Karen would want us to carry on at North Park, and she is forever with us ,” she said.
Resident Tim Prince said the district could save lives by only allowing classroom visitors by pre-arrangement or with the teacher’s permission.
“We’re not going to be 100 percent safe, in this society,” he said. “But we can be safer.”
One parent said she and others supported the office worker who permitted Anderson onto the campus,…