Post nasal drip is an irritating condition when the mucus accumulates at the back of the patient’s throat. Effective treatment for this disease will depend on its causes, not the symptoms.
It’s crucial to visit your otolaryngologist before you start taking any medicine. Your doctor will do proper tests to determine the cause of your post nasal drip and recommend treatment options.
What are the causes?
Actually, post nasal drip and nausea can be caused by different health problems. Here are the most common of them:
- Allergies (mold allergies, pet allergies, etc.);
- Dairy products, spicy foods;
- Nasal polyp, rhinitis, nasal congestion;
- Dust mites, pollen, animal dander, mold;
- Deviated nasal septum, nasal tumors;
- Cigarette smoke, alcohol, drugs;
- Sinusitis (especially chronic sinusitis);
- Streptococcus infection;
- Vasomotor rhinitis;
- Swallowing problems (dysphagia);
- Nasopharyngeal carcinoma;
- Side effects of medication;
- Changes in hormones and pregnancy;
- Cold temperatures, low humidity.
See your otolaryngologist to determine what condition causes your problem.
Symptoms of Post Nasal Drip
You may have this annoying condition in the following cases:
- if you continuously feel the need to clear your throat;
- if you suffer from continual sore throats, nasal discharge, bad breath;
- in case of sinus or nasal congestion;
- if you notice white or yellow crystals on your adenoids and tonsils;
- if you notice hoarseness or raspy voice;
- in case of yellow coating on the tongue.
How to treat post nasal drip naturally?
If you want to ease your discomfort naturally, try to do this with the help of home remedies. Surely, you have to see your doctor before you start the treatment.
Keep in mind several things which can make your post-nasal drip worse. You should avoid smoking and passive smoking. Stay away from air-conditioned environments, cold drinks, ice cream and dairy foods. Moreover,…